With Independence Day celebrations right around the corner, we encourage Milton residents to practice fire safety and show courtesy to our four-legged neighbors.
There are new laws signed by the Governor this year that restrict firework usage in some ways, including:
-No fireworks after 9 p.m.
-No fireworks in/on a public road
-No fireworks within 100 yards of a(n):
-No fireworks while under the influence of alcohol or any drug to the extent that it is unsafe to use consumer fireworks
With an abundance of caution, we would also like to remind you of the danger fireworks pose to our horse, dog and cat residents. Aside from the fear many animals have of the loud sounds, horses fear the flashing and booming in close proximity and these displays send most horses into panic, potentially leading to serious injuries or even death. Furthermore, fences, hay, bedding and dry grass are highly flammable items found around many farms. A polite heads up to your neighboring horse owner about your firework celebration is very helpful and appreciated.
Additionally, we would like you to remember that children must be supervised around fireworks, and you should always keep a water source or fire extinguisher nearby during use.
Remember, embers can burn in packaging even after the fireworks are done, and used fireworks in a trash container can smolder unseen for several hours. Used fireworks should be watered down and stored away from homes or any flammable structures/materials after the festivities end. This will allow them to cool down and help prevent a late night tragedy.
Milton Police and fire code personnel are authorized to enforce these regulations in the interest of public safety.
For more information on fireworks or for any fire and safety related concern, please contact the Fire Department at 678-242-2541 during normal business hours or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.