The City Council will hold a Special Called Meeting starting at 6 p.m. on Thursday, April 23. Like the April 15 Council meeting, this meeting will be held virtually. People can watch and participate -- including contributing "public comment" -- over Zoom, or simple watch the meeting on City of Milton’s Facebook page, at https://www.facebook.com/thecityofmiltonga/. Its agenda can be found HERE.
At usual City Council meetings, citizens come to City Hall to watch and offer their views in the “public comment” segments. Thursday's meeting will be different since citizens won’t come to City Hall; but it will be similar in that people can still “attend” and “participate,” albeit virtually rather than in person.
Here is how to watch and participate in the April 23 Regular Council Meeting via Zoom:
On a computer
On a smartphone
Give yourself at least 10 minutes before the meeting starts at 6 p.m. to log on and make sure the technology is working for you.
On a computer using Zoom:
On a smartphone using Zoom:
- If you’ve already downloaded the Zoom app, it should launch automatically.
- If you haven’t downloaded the Zoom app yet, you’ll be prompted to download it when you click on the link. Download the app.
On a phone not using Zoom:
You should be able to hear the meeting (once it starts) as well as participate, even if you won’t have all the same options as someone who downloaded Zoom.
FOLLOW AND PARTICIPATE IN THE MEETING
On a computer or smartphone using the Zoom app:
When the meeting starts, you should be able to see and hear the Mayor, City Council members, and City Clerk.
There will be several opportunities for citizens to provide their “public comment.” Mayor Lockwood will reference these opportunities during the meeting. They are:
1. After the Council approves the Agenda, under “General Public Comment”
2. And for each item under “New Business”
Here is how to make a “public comment”
1. Click on “Raise Hand” in the Zoom app.
2. The moderator will call on commenters based on the order in which they had “raised their hand.”
3. Each commenter should unmute themselves and then speak. Please state your name and address before stating your comment.
4. As in a regular Council meeting, people will have a maximum of 5 minutes per person to speak.
On a phone not using the Zoom app:
When the meeting starts, you should be able to hear the Mayor, City Council members, and City Clerk. You will be able to “comment” the same times as those using the Zoom app.
Here’s how to do it;
1. To make a “comment,” dial *9. (This is equivalent to the “Raise Hand” feature.)
2. Wait to be called upon. The moderator may reference the last 3 digits of your phone number.
3. In order to speak, you’ll need to unmute yourself by pressing *6.
On whatever device
If you have technical or procedural questions before or during the meeting, you can ask them using the Q&A component in the Zoom app.