Parks & Recreation
Forms & Permits
Staff Directory by last name
I Want To…
Finance Department

Finance Department

The Finance Department is responsible for preserving a fiscally sound organization by maintaining accurate and timely financial and accounting records, establishing internal controls to protect and preserve city assets and providing short- and long-term financial planning.

Services provided include accounting and financial reporting, budget management and compliance, debt management, capital financing, purchasing, financial analysis and planning, property tax billing and collection, payroll processing and risk management.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are franchise fees?

Franchise fees are charges to utility companies for the privilege of operating within municipal boundaries. They are a routine and common practice for municipalities across the state and country. Examples are electricity, telephone, cable television, waste management and natural gas.

Franchise fees are implemented as part of a service agreement executed between a government and a utility company. These service agreements outline the terms under which utility companies provide service to customers within a specific territory. Local governments require them in order to ensure service to all customers in a geographic area.

A franchise fee generally is imposed in lieu of licenses or permits that would otherwise be required. These fees are intended to reimburse local governments for use of the public right-of-way and other municipal services. It typically is calculated on a percentage of the revenues derived from sales to customers in that territory.

Who has responsibility for property valuation for property tax purposes?

The Fulton County Board of Assessors is responsible for valuing all real and personal property within Fulton County, including the City of Milton. The city has no role in determining the valuations set on either real or personal property. All inquiries should be referred to the Fulton County Board of Assessors.

They can be reached several ways. The Web site is or you can call 404.612.6440 or mail to: Fulton County Board of Assessors, 141 Pryor Street, SW, Suite 1047B, Atlanta, GA 30303.

Does the city offer homestead exemptions?

Several types of homestead exemptions have been enacted to reduce the burden of ad valorem (assessed value of real estate or personal property) taxation. To qualify, property owners must own and occupy their home as primary residence as of Jan. 1. Property owners already receiving the Fulton County exemption need not reapply each year unless there is a change in ownership or the owner is applying for a different exemption.

In order to be eligible for City of Milton Senior or Full Value Homestead Exemptions, property owners must file with the City of Milton between Jan. 1 and May 31 of each year. Applications received after May 31 will become eligible the following year. The following exemptions are offered by the City of Milton:

Basic Homestead Exemption of $15,000 off the assessed value of your tax bill. (Applied for through Fulton County.)

Senior Basic Exemption of $15,000 is available to residents age 65 or older on or before Jan. 1 of the year in which the application for exemption is submitted. (Applied for through City of Milton.)

Additional $10,000 Senior Homestead is available to homeowners who meet certain income requirements and are 65 or older on or before Jan. 1 of the year in which the application for exemption is submitted. (Applied for through City of Milton.)
Full Value Exemption is available to disabled residents and residents 70 or older on or before Jan. 1 of the year in which the application for exemption is submitted. Certain income qualifications apply for residents 70 or older. Proof of disability is required for disabled residents. (Applied for through City of Milton.)

Click here to download the form to apply for the City of Milton's exemptions.

How can I pay my property tax bill?

NOTE: Taxes were billed on Sept. 14, 2018 and will be due by Nov. 14, 2018. Read the 2018 Property Tax Guide for more information.

Online: Click here for more information.

By phone: Call 678.242.2500 and ask for the Revenue Office.

By mail: 2006 Heritage Walk, Milton, GA 30004. Please make check(s) payable to City of Milton. Mail both the tax stub and your check or money order.

In person: Finance Office: 2006 Heritage Walk, Milton, GA 30004. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Acceptable forms of payment are check, money order, cashier’s check, credit card (Visa/MasterCard/American Express and Discover) and cash (exact change only).

Please note, payments made by credit card are subject to a 2.5% convenience fee.

What interest/penalty is charged for paying my tax bill after the due date?

Tax bills are due 60 days from the bill date. After 60 days have passed, monthly interest is calculated at one-twelfth (1/12) of the bank prime rate loan plus three percent (3%) and charged until the bill is paid. If the bill remains unpaid for 90 days past the due date, there will be a one-time, 10% penalty added to the total.

What if I sold my house in Milton?

Georgia property taxes are based on the ownership of the property as of January 1 of each year. If you sold the property on or after January 1 of this year, you will need to complete the following steps to ensure that your record is updated:

  • Fax a copy of your final settlement agreement to the City of Milton at 678-242-2499 or email a copy of you final settlement agreement to This will allow us to change the bill to the new owner's name.
  • Contact the Fulton County Tax Assessor's Office at 404-612-6440 to ensure that your closing attorney has submitted your final settlement agreement and that your record has been properly updated.

Note: If pro-ration of taxes has been made, it is in your best interest to forward the tax bill to the new owner and confirm your record has been updated with Fulton County.

What if I bought a house in Milton?

It is important for you to understand, as a new property owner you will NOT receive a property tax bill on the property you just purchased this year, until you or the seller submits a settlement statement to our office. Georgia law requires the Tax Office to bill the owner of the property as of January 1 each year. However, if you or the seller faxes a copy of the closing settlement to 678-242-2499, we will be able to change the bill into the correct owner's name.

Although the tax bill will be in the name of the former owner, the law states that when taxes become delinquent a tax lien is placed against the property.

Please note: There is no provision in the law for the tax office to pro-rate taxes based on a partial-year ownership of property. Any pro-ration of taxes must be made between the buyer and seller at the time of transfer of property.

How do I get added to the city's vendor list?

There is a form online for companies wishing to become potential city vendors. You simply fill out this form to be added to the list of vendors.