Important Updates:

Please visit for details and for information regarding the City of Milton coronavirus response.


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Planning staff is primarily responsible for administering  the Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Regulations and applicable sections of the Milton Code of Ordinances. Responsibilities include processing requests for rezonings , zoning modifications, use permits, variances  Design Review Board submittals, review of Form Based Code requirements for architecture, sign permitting and business license review for zoning.

In addition, this area of the Community Development Department works closely with land development and permitting and inspections to address the many aspects of the plan review process.

The routine functions of the  Zoning division include but are not limited to the following:

  • Taking public inquiries regarding zoning, special uses,  development regulations, master plans and land use.
  • Reviewing plans for compliance with zoning and other requirements.
  • Issuing zoning certification letters.
  • Issuing temporary use approvals.
  • Preparing staff analysis for public hearing applications.
  • Preparing public hearing information and/or packets for the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, Design Review Board and City Council.
  • Preparing legal ads, posting signage at properties and mailing notices for public hearings.
  • Preparing action reports from board and commission meetings

For more information, please contact Zoning Manager Robyn MacDonald at 678-242-2540.




For more information on the roles and responsibilities of the Design Review Board, Board of Zoning Appeals, Planning Commission.


Frequently Asked Questions

Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

  • Can you provide information on a particular parcel of property?

  • Where can I find City of Milton Zoning Ordinance?

  • How do I apply for a rezoning, use permit, zoning modification, variance and concurrent variance?

  • What is a Variance and who can submit a Variance to?

  • How do I obtain a Zoning Certification Letter?

  • Where can I get maps?