Parks & Recreation
Forms & Permits
Staff Directory by last name
I Want To…

Recycling Resources for the City of Milton


All the trash haulers certified in the City of Milton are required by ordinance to offer residents a curbside recycling program at no additional cost. Standard items collected include paper of all types, cardboard, aluminum drink cans and plastic bottles. Check with your hauler about specific materials and containers. Most haulers now are offering 65-gallon recycling carts instead of the 18-gallon standard bins.


Household Paint and Chemical Collection

The City of Milton periodically funds a collection event where residents can properly dispose of paint and household chemicals. Please sign up for our newsletter to receive alerts!

For other options on disposing of paint, please see recycling resource list below.

Bring One for the Chipper

This event allows residents to recycle their Christmas trees the first Saturday in January at several locations around Milton. Trees are chipped into mulch, available free to schools and residents.

Document Shredding and Electronics Recycling

The City of Milton partners with community groups to offer document shredding and electronics events periodically.

Local drop-off recycling center
NOTE: Due to COVID-19, Roswell Recycling Center is currently only open to Roswell residents. 
Roswell Recycling Center
11570 Maxwell Road
Alpharetta, GA 30004
Phone 770.442.8822
Fax 770.442.0963

For current hours of operation and materials accepted, please click here. Please note: document shredding service at the Roswell Recycling Center is for Roswell residents only.

Options for Donating Usable Goods

Resources for donating usable goods – please contact the charity for more information:

Abba House:  678-208-2000

Salvation Army:  404-522-9783

Goodwill of North Georgia

3 local donation centers:

  • 980 Birmingham Rd (770-663-9980)
  • 13800 Hwy 9 N (770-667-2711)
  • 375 McFarland Pkwy  (770-664-50140)

Habitat for Humanity Restore:  770-415-1650

North Fulton Community Charities:  678-387-4466

Any brand of computer or computer-related items in any condition can be recycled through the Dell Reconnect Program at the Goodwill Store at 375 McFarland Pkwy (770-664-5014).  For more information: 

Options for Difficult to Recycle Items

  • Compact fluorescent bulbs (CFL)—Home Depot and Lowe’s accept old CFLs in all of their North American stores. Simply take your unbroken bulbs to the returns counter; they will be recycled.
  • Fluorescent ballasts—Waste Management’s Web site,, offers patented vapor-lock storage containers that can be shipped to a home or business for CFLs, CFBs, batteries, ballasts, medical and electrical devices, computer and electronics and dental amalgam. Fluorescent tubes can also be brought to the city’s Paint and Chemical collection annual event.
  • Household alkaline batteries—Save them for the annual Household Paint and Chemical Collection. Other batteries can typically be recycled at Batteries Plus on 5304 Windward Parkway. For more information, call 678.893.9990.
  • Paint—Can be disposed of in your household trash, if the paint is solid, meaning it must be thoroughly dried out. Add kitty litter or shredded paper and allow it to dry completely with the lid off. Then, put it (with the top off) in your household trash. Be careful—liquid paint can be compacted in a trash truck and end up on your street. The City of Milton has an annual Household Paint and Chemical Collection, where residents can dispose of paint and hazardous chemicals at no charge.
  • Printer cartridges—Local office supply stores have incentives for recycling your cartridges at their stores. You can drop cartridges off at the Milton Police Department (13000 Deerfield Parkway Suite #107) in the front lobby. 
  • Large bulky trash items—Contact your trash hauler for pickup of large items (extra charges may apply). 
  • Styrofoam—There are some things that cannot be recycled at all. We encourage you to exercise your right to refuse, whenever possible.
  • Textbooks, paperbacks and hardbacks—Better World Book bins are located for drop-off of any category of book at Crabapple Crossing Elementary School. Proceeds benefit school media centers, as well as other literacy initiatives. Also, the Friends of Milton Library collect used books for their book sales.
  • Yard waste—Consider starting a compost site on your property to turn yard waste into a good soil amendment. Green Brothers Earth Works (3445 Francis Road; 770.475.8660) will take tree limbs, but not shrubbery for composting. Most haulers allow yard waste with municipal landfill waste, providing the landfill has a waste-to-energy facility.

Recycling-related Web sites for helpful information