Parks & Recreation
Forms & Permits
Staff Directory by last name
I Want To…

Code Enforcement

Code enforcement staff is primarily responsible for the enforcement of the adopted building maintenance, signage, housing and solid waste codes. Code enforcement addresses a wide range of city issues affecting our environment, health, safety, property values and general well-being. Community preservation and improvement is a necessity to stop and reverse the deterioration of our community. 

The objective of code enforcement is to obtain voluntary compliance. Prosecuting a code violation is the least efficient way to guarantee an improved community. Citizens who do not voluntarily comply may be issued citations and required to appear in the city's municipal court. Therefore, education and guidance are the primary services rendered by a code enforcement officer.

Code enforcement staff responds to concerns from citizens that affect the quality of life within the City of Milton, such as overgrown lots or yards, inoperative vehicles, maintenance of structures, illegal signs and public nuisances. Systematic inspections are also performed throughout the city to ensure properties are in compliance with city code.

Code Enforcement Officers

Name Position Contact
Chris Williams Code Enforcement Supervisor
Deidra Jones Code Enforcement Officer

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I report a violation?

Call Code Enforcement at 678.242.2500 or fill out a complaint form to Report a Violation.

What is a Notice of Violation?

A Notice of Violation is a form completed by a code enforcement officer when a code violation has been observed by the officer.

Why did I receive a door hanger?

A door hanger is left on property when no one was available at the property during an inspection by a code enforcement officer/inspector.

How do I report illegal dumping going on right now in the city?

Call 911 for the Milton Police.

How do I report illegal dumping that has already taken place?

Call Code Enforcement at 678.242.2500.

How do I report building without a permit?

Call the City at 678.242.2500 and ask for the Building division or Code Enforcement.

Am I responsible for pre-existing violations on a property I purchased?

Yes. The property owner is responsible.

My tenant is responsible for a code violation on the property, are they responsible for the repair?

The property owner is ultimately responsible for all repairs to their property.

What is an abandoned/junk vehicle? Is it a violation?

An abandoned/junk vehicle is any vehicle, automobile, truck or other automobile that is missing a current registration, license plate with current decal, proof of liability insurance or drive train component. Violators may be face enforcement action.

How do I report loud music, radio, loud party, etc.?

Call 911 for the Milton Police.

What are the allowable hours of construction noise?

Construction noises are allowable during the hours of 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. weekdays and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays. There should be no construction generated sounds on Sundays and federal holidays.

What is a Stop Work Order?

A Stop Work Order is issued when land disturbing activity or building work is being done without a permit or when approved plan/conditions are not being followed.

Does the City of Milton have an ordinance on the number of domestic animals per acre?

Yes. Except for the areas zoned for agriculture, the maximum number of domestic animals or livestock that may be kept on any single premises shall not exceed the following (Exceptions: licensed veterinary hospitals, commercial kennels, grooming parlors, and public and commercial horse facilities):

Animal Maximum Number
Horses, mules, asses, cows 5
Sheep, goats 10
Hogs 10
Dogs, cats 10
Rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters 75
Chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks, pigeons or similar fowl 75

(Please note: Square footage regulations apply for non-AG-1 zoned land.)

The full version of the Animal Control Ordinance is available here.

How do I report unsecured animals?

Please contact Fulton County’s Animal Services at 404.794.0358 or visit their Web site

What is the procedure for possible code violations?

The City Code Enforcement Officer will respond to all code enforcement complaints. Situations that appear to pose a serious risk to health and safety are given top priority.

For all types of code complaints, the first step is personal contact by the code enforcement officer to determine if a code violation exists and to request remediation. If the individual responsible for the situation is not available, or appears unwilling to voluntarily correct the code violation in a timely manner, a notice of violation or a citation may be issued. The City may also take court action if the situation poses a significant risk to the community or if the individual has ignored previous notices/citations.

What penalties result from code violations?

In many cases, the individual responsible for the code violation is given the opportunity to voluntarily correct the situation and comply with current codes without a penalty. If the correction is not made, the individual may be subject to a written citation with the possible result of fines and other penalties.