Parks & Recreation
Forms & Permits
Staff Directory by last name
I Want To…
City Clerk's Office

City Clerk's Office

Welcome to the City of Milton Clerk’s Office. The City Clerk is the official record keeper for the city and is appointed by the Mayor and City Council. 

Responsibilities of the City Clerk’s Office include: Recording and maintaining the council's official actions in minutes; coordinating and distributing meeting agendas; maintaining contracts, ordinances, resolutions and agreements; and coordinating the records management and retention program for the city.

The City Clerk attests signatures of Mayor and Council. She is also official keeper of the city seal and affixes its impression on documents whenever required. The City Clerk oversees the adoption and publishing of the Code of Ordinances and facilitates the City of Milton Municipal Elections, working closely with the Fulton County Registration & Elections Office.

Copies of public records are available through the City Clerk’s Office by completing a Request for Public Records and submitting it to the City Records Clerk.

Our Records Policy is available here.

The City Clerk and staff are committed to providing quality public service and connecting the public with the legislative process. We strive to ensure that the city’s legislative processes are open and public by providing a transparent link between citizens and government.

If you have any suggestions on how we can better assist you or if you have questions, please contact us. We would be happy to hear from you.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I tell what is going to happen at a meeting?

Agendas with supporting documents (packets) of City Council, board and commission meetings are posted online in the Complete Agendas and Meetings section and on the calendar prior to the meeting. They are also posted on the front doors of City Hall and are available at the meetings. Agendas are posted a full week before meetings to inform citizens about the items up for discussion.

Please note: During City Council meetings, items in first presentation or the consent agenda will not be discussed. Only items in new business, unfinished business, public hearing or the zoning agenda (heard at the second meeting of the month) will be discussed and up for public comment. First presentation items are there for procedural purposes.

How can I tell what happened at a meeting?

City Council meetings are available from our Web site via streaming broadcasts. Council’s “action” minutes (recording motions or votes on items) are posted to the Complete Agendas and Minutes section within 48 hours of the regular or special called meetings. “Regular” minutes (transcription of full discussion and motions or votes) are posted after they have been approved by the Mayor and City Council or board chairman.

How can I comment at a meeting?

If you would like to speak at a City Council meeting, there is general public comment at the start of the meeting and separate comment times for topics germane to an issue heard that night. Meetings begin promptly at 6 p.m., unless noted.

When you attend the meeting, you must fill out a public comment card and submit it to the City Clerk staff prior to the agenda item to be heard. Make sure to clearly print your name and the agenda number for the item about which you wish to speak. Speakers will be heard in the order the cards are received.

Depending upon the type of comment, there are associated time limits. Please review Section 19 of the City of Milton Rules and Procedures for City Council Meetings and Public Hearings. The PDF of this document is available here.

Please note: It is important to know that Georgia state law has a disclosure requirement specific to public comment made in opposition to a rezoning application.

State law (O.C.G.A. § 36-67A-3) requires that opponents to a rezoning petition, as well as their agents, must disclose any campaign contributions aggregating or having an aggregate value of $250.00 or more that have been made to the Mayor or any City Council member within the two years immediately preceding the filing of the zoning petition. According to the law, those wishing to make comments in opposition must file disclosure at least five calendar days prior to the first hearing of the rezoning application, which is the Planning Commission meeting preceding the Council’s consideration. To knowingly violate this statute constitutes a misdemeanor. 

The disclosure form is available here. If you have questions or need more information about the disclosure requirement, please contact City Hall at 678.242.2500 or e-mail us

No outbursts, cheering or booing are allowed in Council Chambers. Please show the same respect to those speaking you expect to receive. Learn more by reading Section 16 Decorum in the Rules and Procedures document above.

How are items passed at the meeting?

An item or items up for vote will first be read by the City Clerk. Upon completion of that reading and any staff presentations, which may include extensive question-and- answer periods from members of City Council, a council member will make a motion to approve, deny or defer. 

Another council member must second the motion by saying "Second" before the mayor can call for a vote.

The motion will then be discussed. Again, discussion may be extensive. Finally, the mayor will ask for council members to vote on the motion. That vote decides whether or not the issue passes.

What is an ordinance?

An ordinance is, in simple parlance, a law. Ordinances, however, are laws that are for Milton only and do not affect other cities or counties. Ordinances usually: amend, repeal or supplement the Code of Ordinances; provide zoning specifications; or appropriate money for specific purposes. 

Only a vote by a quorum of City Council (at least four of the seven member group) at a publicly advertised meeting can approve or deny an ordinance. Once passed, they are enforceable by the city’s criminal and civil officers.

What is the Code of Ordinances?

The Code of Ordinances is the collection of all of Milton’s laws searchable by anyone. It codifies and defines the laws by chapters. Milton’s online Code of Ordinances is updated quarterly with the laws passed since the last codification. However, you can see new ordinances using the site’s “Now” feature on the front page before they are codified.

What is a resolution?

A resolution is a formal expression of opinion or intention of the City Council. They are not laws and cannot be enforced as such. Because of that, resolutions are subject to a lesser level of formalized procedure and limited to addressing only certain matters.

Resolutions, like ordinances, must be voted on by a quorum of council during a publicly advertised meeting.

What is a proclamation?

A proclamation is a way for City Council or the city as a whole to recognize special dates, achievements and more. They are usually given to civic groups or individuals whom council or the city believes deserve recognition. Anyone may be nominated for a proclamation. Simply contact your City Council representative to inquire about starting the process.

What are executive sessions?

Executive sessions are held on an as-needed basis. When these meetings are required, the regular Council meeting is recessed while a quorum of City Council and staff meet to discuss sensitive topics.

By state law, executive sessions can only be called to discuss these topics: employee matters, pending litigation, future acquisition of real estate, staff meetings regarding investigative purposes, tax matters, inspection of physical facilities under the city’s jurisdiction and meetings with other governing bodies outside the jurisdiction of Milton during which no final action is taken. Once the executive session has concluded, City Council will re-enter Council Chambers to conclude the meeting, except in the last instance, where the meeting is outside the limits of Milton.

If any of the topics discussed require votes, the Mayor and City Council will call for the vote. Once voting occurs, if necessary, the regular council meeting is adjourned.