Parks & Recreation
Forms & Permits
Staff Directory by last name
I Want To…
average 2016 fire response time
6:10 average 2016 police response time

Welcome to the City of Milton’s municipal government pages!

In this section, you will find information about and staff contacts for every department in City Hall.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the phone number for the city?

You may dial 678.242.2500 to speak with a representative of Milton's government. From there, the receptionist will direct you to the correct department to answer your inquiry.

Who do I call in an emergency situation?

Always call 911 in an emergency situation. If within the cities of Milton or Alpharetta, your call will be routed to C3, the shared dispatch hub for both cities’ emergency calls, located in Alpharetta police headquarters on Old Milton Parkway. Milton’s police and fire departments will then respond, if needed. Alpharetta units may also respond based on who is closer.

Where is city hall?

City Hall is located at 2006 Heritage Walk, one block off of Crabapple Road. Normal business hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Note: The Milton Police Department and Municipal Court remain at 13000 Deerfield Parkway off of Windward Parkway.

Who provides police and fire services?

The City of Milton established its own police and fire services in 2007, its first full year of cityhood.

Where is the Milton police headquarters?

Milton’s police headquarters are in City Hall, 13000 Deerfield Parkway, Suite 107 F. You may visit from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

How do I know if my property is within the city limits of Milton?

If you are unsure if your property is within the city limits, call 678.242.2500 and ask for the tax department. A representative will search the city’s database for the tax ID number. There are also many maps detailing Milton boundaries available in the Maps section of this Web site.

If my property is in Milton, do I still pay property taxes to Fulton County?

Yes, all property owners in Milton also pay property taxes to Fulton County (includes taxes to Fulton County School System and State of Georgia). These property tax bills will continue to come from the Fulton County Tax Commissioner's Office. The City of Milton will send out the city tax bills separately.

Are there fees associated with paying taxes online or by phone?

Yes. There is a 2.5% service fee for all payments made with a credit card.

What is the public school system for Milton?

Milton’s residents are served by Fulton County School System. To see the school your child will attend based on your address, call the Student Placement Service for The Fulton County Board of Education at 404.763.6801.

Do I use Milton as my mailing address?

Yes. Nearly all of Milton is located within the 30004 zip code, meaning postal workers will know to deliver the mail to the correct address. In addition, the city is added every day to popular mapping and database networks, meaning more accurate representation for city residents.

Where is the closest post office?

The closest post office is located in Alpharetta at 2400 Old Milton Parkway. The phone number is 770.442.3893. The city’s government does not have authority to establish a post office for Milton—the decision is left to the United States Postal Service, based on their service strategies.

In 2018, the City of Milton, in partnership with USPS, added a blue secure dropbox on the Plaza area at Milton City Hall at 2006 Heritage Walk, Milton, GA 30004.

How many people live in Milton?

Milton has a population of 35,907.

Does the City of Milton have a notary public?

Effective September 23, 2019, city staff will only provide notary services for official city documents.

Who do I call to report trash, signage or noise issues?

You may report a code violation to the City of Milton Community Development Department or a problem to the Public Works Department.

Does the city offer garbage collection services?

No. A number of private vendors registered with the city provide garbage collection. A list may be found here.

How do I hook up my utilities?

Water and sewer service is handled by Fulton County, unless you have a septic tank (generally in use for lots one acre and over), in which case you will simply need water and should schedule septic maintenance on your own.

Natural gas is deregulated in Georgia so you can choose from a variety of Certified Marketers in Georgia provided by the Georgia Public Service Commission. Through a unique community partnership offered by Gas South, Milton residents can save on natural gas and support Milton's special events. To learn more, visit the Gas South/Milton webpage.

Electric providers for the city of Milton include Sawnee EMC, Georgia Power, and Cobb EMC, depending upon the location of your new Milton home. 

The following vendors operate in the City of Milton:

Georgia Power
Cobb EMC 
Sawnee EMC

MCIDirect TV

Atlanta Gas Light

How can I find where my septic tank is located?

Septic tank permits are issued by the Fulton County Health Department (North Fulton office), which is located at 3155 Royal Drive in Alpharetta. The phone number is 404.332.1801.

Where is the local recycling center?

The Roswell Recycling Center is located at 11570 Maxwell Road on the border of Roswell and Alpharetta. The phone number is 770.442.8822.

Click here for a full list of recycling options for Milton residents, courtesy of the Milton Grows Green Committee.

Can I burn yard waste?

The Georgia Burn Ban runs from May 1 through Sept. 30. No outdoor burning is permitted during this time. From Oct. 1 through April 30, outdoor burning of small piles of residential debris may be allowed depending on the fire danger rating for the day.

That rating is dependent on factors such as the wind and humidity levels for the day. You can call the Milton Fire Department at 678.242.2570 during regular business hours to check if safe burning is permitted on any day outside of the Burn Ban. Please note that all fires must be out at dark.

Click here for more information.

Can I water whenever I want?

The Georgia Water Stewardship Act went into effect statewide on June 2, 2010. It allows daily outdoor watering for purposes of planting, growing, managing, or maintaining ground cover, trees, shrubs, or other plants only between the hours of 4 p.m. and 10 a.m.

Outdoor water use for any purposes other than watering of plants, such as power washing or washing cars, is still restricted to the current odd/even watering schedule.

Odd-numbered addresses can water on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Even-numbered and unnumbered addresses are allowed to water on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Click here for more information.

Who do I call for animal control services?

Call Fulton County Animal Services at 404.613.0358. Milton contracts with Fulton County Animal Services to deliver animal control services to the city.

Where do I register to vote?

Learn more by visiting Milton's Voter Information page.

Who are my representatives in state and the U.S Congress?

Milton residents are represented at the state level by Rep. Jan Jones, a Milton resident, and Sen. Brandon Beach. 

Congressionally, Miltonians are represented by Rep. Karen Handel and senators Johnny Isakson and David Perdue.

How can I run for public office or volunteer?

For those wishing to serve in public office, you must declare your intent to run during the election cycle at the City Clerk’s office.

If you wish to formally volunteer with a city-sponsored board or committee, please contact your city council member as they appoint members. For informal volunteer opportunities, please fill out this online form.

Upcoming Events
Around Milton